Can we just get three cheers that summer is here!!?? HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!! If I could I would be outside every single day all day playing with my boys! And truth be told, my 2 year old would be outside all day every day as well!
I have been dying to get my son a Sand Box but have been a total cheapo and haven’t wanted to go buy one! Not to mention how much sand costs to fill it! (Who in the world came up with sand prices?!) Anyway…as I was scrolling through a classifieds Facebook page I am a part of I saw a little bookshelf for sale for $5. I had an instant light bulb! Bookshelf Sandbox! Yes please!
Last year I made a garden from a bookshelf and it turned out MARVELOUSLY!!! So..why not a bookshelf sand box?! It has been SO great! And the best part?? It seriously took me no more than 30 minutes to create! This sandbox is PERFECT for apartment patios, balconies, or homes where a built in sand box isn’t an option.
What you will need:
- A Book Shelf
- Some kind of strong glue or putty
- Take all shelves and metal posts out of your bookshelf
- Do any necessary repairs on your bookshelf
- Fill all holes in with your putty or glue. I chose to use E6000. [Keep in mind- this glue has fumes. Make sure it is completely dry before your children play in the sand box)
- Fill in any cracks or gaps with your glue. Don’t worry about small holes in the bottom. You will want small holes for water drainage.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Place your new sandbox in the location where it will stay. [Once you put the sand in it will be far too heavy to move around]
- Fill with sand, toys and kids!
And voila! A sand box! Now wasn’t that easy?
Enjoy summer my darlings!!!!